Monday, 30 June 2014

Book Review - Salad Samurai


Terry Hope Romero - again! She's back and as beautiful as ever in this, her latest book.

I'm going to start with the few things I don't like about the book to get them out of the way. Mainly design stuff - not actual food related. Just my thoughts. I found this quite dark in parts - colour wise. The white (or coloured) writing on grey / black backgrounds isn't always the easiest to read (blame my old-lady eyes) especially when the font is small (ingredients lists mainly). Also, some of the photos are dark background and dark plates, and I don't really feel they do the food justice or show it off to its best.

Moving on.
Layout is one recipe per page, many with photos - layout of each recipe is good, with the cons noted above for the ingredients lists re font colour and size, but the body of the recipes is easy to read, the instructions are clear and easy to follow. Recipes are grouped into logical chapters: dressings, toppings, then by season - which makes perfect sense (in the Northern Hemisphere at least) for dishes you're going to use fresh produce for. The introduction is relevant, looking at menu planning for salads, reading the recipes, ingredients and equipment. The recipes are creative and inviting.

The recipes I made - in page number order as always -
Page 19 - Lemon Tahini Dressing
Simple, yet good. Throw this together in minutes - it says to blend but I just whisked and it was fine.

Page 28 - Green Curry Dressing
Light but flavourful. Green Curry inspired to my thoughts rather than actual green curry, but tasty.

Page 29 - Marvelous Miso Dressing
Another super simple and tasty dressing.

Page 49 - Lentils for Salads
Simple and neutral, yet tasty. As they are pretty neutral you can add them to anything.

Page 83 - Pesto Cauliflower and Potato Salad
Bright and fresh, super tasty and quite filling.

Page 88 - Green Curry Lentil Quinoa Salad
Good combination of recipes already noted above - as well as a sweet burst from fresh pineapple. I did find the Thai basil a little overwhelming so would add less next time.

Page 115 - Grilled Miso Apples and Brussels Sprouts Salad
As Brussels aren't in season I used Napa cabbage, and didn't grill the apples, but this was super tasty. Real hit all round in my house.

Page 121 - Monday Night Red Bean and Rice Salad
My least favourite of the recipes I tried. I found the spices a little harsh, needed a touch of sweet to balance them out (to my palate anyway). Very pretty.

Page 123 - Almond Falafel Crunch Bowl
The falafel were a little dry without the dressing, Good thing the dressing is great so you want to use lots. Salad with the falafel was simple and refreshing. Easy to  make.

Would you use this book? I know you're wondering about that, being as this is a book about salad. Short answer is: Yes. The recipes are for main course salads, so they are full meals in a bowl, balanced and well thought out. While this is the case there is no reason why you can't prepare the salad in a huge communal bowl and use as a side to something else, or as part of a salad buffet. I tended to do this when I was testing the recipes. If you're wanting a complimentary book then I'm pretty sure Vegan al Fresco would fit the bill!

and before I go - Happy Canada Day for tomorrow, and Happy Fourth of July for the Fourth!

1 comment:

vegan.in.brighton said...

I just ordered my copy yesterday and I've been reading about the great recipes people have been making on blogs all afternoon. I can't wait for my copy to arrive so that I can jump in!