Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Book Review - Naturally Sweet and Gluten-Free

Filled with temptations. Filled with them. I have to control my will power around this book as everything looks so very good, and everything is something I could make and eat and not have to worry about.

This is a beautiful book, with lovely photos, well laid out recipes (one to a page) which are nicely introduced and easy to read and follow. The recipe chapters are logical, breakfast items, cookies etc, cakes and cupcakes, cheesecakes and pies, and then raw / no-bake. Each recipe indicates if it is also soy-, nut- or corn-free as well as being gluten- and sugar-free and vegan. There is something for everyone.

The introduction is quite comprehensive, outlining the authors journey to bake this way, and looking in detail at ingredients used, their qualities and roles in the recipes. There are tips and techniques specific for GF and sugar-free baking and a look at equipment used. I feel that as this is a way of baking which is not usual for most vegans it is helpful to have this in depth look at the ingredients.

If I had to choose only 1 recipe from each chapter to make they would be as follows - (and this was hard to do believe me!)
Chapter 1 - Breakfast Bakes: Tropical Lemon Coconut Muffins
Chapter 2 - Cookies, Squares & Bars: Ultra Fudgy Brownies
Chapter 3 - Cakes & Cupcakes: Golden Vanilla Cupcakes (for the kids!!)
Chapter 4 - Cheesecakes, Pies, Tarts: My Mother's Cheesecake
Chapter 5 - Raw & No Bake: Caramel Ice-Cream

My only issue would be that some of the ingredients will be harder to find for some folks without accessing the internet to shop, there's some I don't keep on hand and would ave to specially purchase, and some of these are on the more expensive side.

1 comment:

Ricki said...

Carla,

Thanks so much for reviewing the book! I'm definitely with you on the pick for Chapter 2 (though I'd alternate among the five types of brownies). ;-)

And you're right: this way of baking is really not typical for most vegans unless they are gluten-free and sensitive to sugars. I do talk about substitutions in chapter one, so if you don't like/can't find some of the ingredients, you can always swap them for ones that are easier to find or that work better for you.

Ricki :)