Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Book Review - The (gluten-free) Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook

Yesterday being Thanksgiving I'm posting this review today! Hope everyone in Canada had a happy and joy filled Thanksgiving with loved ones.

While not marketed as vegan this one is surprisingly very vegan friendly as the majority of the recipes have vegan options (often just using flax eggs) written into the instructions. This I liked!

As you'll guess by the title this book is all about quinoa. It is filled with creative and delicious recipes using this "super food" in a range of ways for all meals. The book itself is hardcover, has logical chapter groupings and lots of tasty looking professional photos. The recipes are laid out one to a page in a straightforward and easy to follow manner. There is a good sized introductory section packed with information about, and hints for using quinoa, and is worth the read. Have a look here for a bigger selection.

I have a quinoa hater in my house so chose the recipes with care, and was pleasantly surprised when they were all eaten and enjoyed!! I made -
Page 75 - Quinoa Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce
I think my wrappers were smaller than the ones the author used - and the size isn't specified in the recipe - as my filling kept falling out when I used the amount specified. Oh well, it tasted good and the sauce was awesome.

Page 105 - Quinoa Pizza Dough
One of the best GF pizza doughs I've made, and I have a bunch in the freezer for future use. Held up to the toppings well and had a lovely crust and firm, chewy texture. I topped ours with roasted shiitake mushrooms and slow cooked red peppers.

Page 127 - Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad
Great balance of flavours enhancing the sweet potato. Lovely for this time of year.

Page 153 - Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers
Held together well, texture was pretty good, but needed spicing up just a little more for us as we found them a touch on the bland side.

Page 227 - Quinoa Casserole with Broccoli and Cheese
In our case, Daiya. This one was an absolute winner with the hater! Really really good, so simple and so tasty. Real comfort food though, nothing healthy here.

Page 239 - Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookies
I quite liked these, though they are a healthy tasting cookie and not decadent at all. The kids didn't like them so much.

Recommended? For sure - especially if you are looking to use quinoa more often but would like some different ideas and creative uses. If you have a quinoa hater you may just find something to convert them.

No comments: