Monday, 9 September 2013

Book Review - Eat Your Vegetables


(photo from Amazon!)
Aimed at the single diner this vegetarian (not vegan; though many recipes are easily made vegan) book is a hefty solid hardcover, with many photos - its a lovely looking book for sure. The recipes, which are one per page, are well introduced, some with personal anecdotes which connect the reader to the author, and presented in logical chapter groupings. Each chapter finishes with a short essay looking at an aspect of being vegetarian, or relating to vegetables in some way (growing them for example), and these I really liked - though I do like to read my cookbooks like they are novels! They provide an insight into the authors deeper thinking about the subject matter and are (excuse the pun) food for thought. The only thing I maybe would have liked to have seen is more dessert options, maybe fruit based, or using vegetables even.

The recipes I made - in page number order -
Page 22 - Kale and Mango Nicoise Salad / Page 23 Lime Ginger Vinaigrette
Loved the dressing, and would have lapped it from the bowl! Went nicely on the salad (I omitted the egg) which was very tasty, and interesting combination of flavours.

Page 30 - Walnut Oregano Vinaigrette
One of my least favourite recipes - I found this to be too vinegary and not really balanced.

Page 32 - Sesame Miso Vinaigrette
Loved this one, seriously good. Super simple to make and I'd eat on everything, not just salad.

Page 81 - Roasted Cauliflower and Green Beans with Chipotle Sauce
Though I made the sauce we didn't actually use it - preferring to gorge on the roasted vegetables simply as they were. Very good.

Page 106 - Spicy Basil Tofu Fried Rice
Very good here too - though I would add more basil next time to really up the oomph from that flavour. Nicely spicy and really simple.

Page 107 - Pepper Crusted Tofu with Broccoli Stir-fry
I liked the crust on the tofu but found it a little bland - a marinade to get into the centre and add some flavour would have been good. The stir fry was simple and the sauce very tasty.

Page 152 - Smoky Bean and Roasted Garlic Dip
Nice idea but lacking in the final taste test. I found the paprika flavour to be a little one note, and overpowering of the garlic. Would like to try again and tweak a little.

Page 160 - Almond and Coconut Granola with Ginger and Cherries
Good like candy!! We ate out of hand for a sweet snack, and this was also good with coconut yogurt. Will make this again for sure as it was delicious!

Page 170 - Marinated and Baked Tofu
Good both hot and cold, a great staple to have on hand.

Recommended? More so for vegetarians than vegans, but I did like this book, and like the idea of single serve recipes (an idea I've been throwing around myself for a while now!)

No comments: