Monday, 26 August 2013

Book Review - Vegan for Her

I was quite pleased to get a copy of this book for a number of reasons. Firstly I have other books by Ginny Messina and I do like her work. Secondly, also I am both a vegan and a woman so thought this would be the perfect book for me, and on many levels it is. Packed with nutritional information this books looks at every stage of a woman's life, diseases and problems which may occur (some general to the whole population some specific to women but all looked at from a female perspective) and how the nutritional requirements may change. There are menu plans and information tables, comparisons of nutrients in different foods so if you want to just flip and look and the tables you can do that too. There is also a chapter looking at vegan issues beyond food, which is a nice addition and gives a fully rounded feel to the book. While this may appeal more to a new vegan woman, or one who is vegan curious, there is enough in this to make it a worthwhile read for every woman (vegan or otherwise).

As to the recipes I made I had mixed success - which may be down to personal preferences.
Page 250 - Coconut-Mango-Avocado Smoothie
This one I did not enjoy - it wasn't an harmonious mixture to my tastes, the coconut water and the avocado didn't really go with the mango, and I didn't find it sweet enough.

Page 255 - Nutty Quinoa and Cherry Salad
Very simple, but very tasty. I did add a little chopped green onion for a contrasting colour. Even H (who doesn't like quinoa much) enjoyed it.

Page 259 - Sesame Tahini Dressing
Nice dressing, thick but tasty.

Page 261 - Cheesy Dressing with Cashews and Capers
Not really cheese-y, more tomato-y than anything, but tasty enough. To get it really smooth you'd need a better blender than I have.

Page 269 - Creamy Squash and Apple Soup
I did not enjoy this. Too sweet for my tastes, without enough balance. I added a bunch of lime juice and some salt to try and bring it back into balance but it never really appealed to me. H ate more than I did.

Page 278 - Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Enjoyed this one, though wish the size of the can for the chickpeas was specified as I think I added too many. Simple to make.

Page 296 - Turmeric, Cumin and Ginger Tofu
Very tasty, super easy. I enjoyed this one a lot.

Page 297 - Cinnamon Tofu
Another really easy tasty way to make tofu. The cinnamon doesn't make it overly sweet but it is an interesting taste.

Overall - a good book to have on your shelves as a reference, and a great one to be able to loan out to the women in your life.

No comments: