Thursday, 20 June 2013

Product Review - Kaeng Raeng Detox Smoothies

Kaeng Raeng is an all natural detox programme, with products available to suit novice to experience "detoxers". I was sent some samples of their beginner product line to try. The product itself is a range of naturally flavoured powders which can be added to fruit smoothies, or to water and shaken, which is used as a meal replacement as part of a detox programme for 3 to 6 days. It is recommended that new users combine the powders with fruit as smoothies, which is what I did as well as trying them with just water to get a full taste of the actual flavour.

 I was sent samples of all three flavours to try, and I'll share my tasting notes in a wee minute. I did try all the samples I was sent, but I did not use them as part of a detox programme, which maybe defeats the purpose of the product a little, but I wasn't sure if I'd like them so didn't want to commit to eating nothing else for 3 days until I'd tried them all.

The flavours I tried -
Juu Juu "into the blue" - blueberry banana

Glai Roong "daybreak" - mango peach pineapple
This was probably my least favourite flavour, which was a little disappointing as it was the one I was looking forward to the most. The flavour was very subtle, and I think I was hoping for an intense mango burst, and to me was a little artificial tasting.

Reunn "joyful" - strawberry raspberry pineapple
Probably the one I liked the most, though when I made the smoothie with fruit I did add fresh raspberries which were quite sour and had to add a little agave to round out that sourness, again not really following the detox rules!

While the smoothies, especially those with fruit, where very thick and filling, and not overly sweet, I didn't enjoy them very much. I found they all had an almost gritty powdery residue which coated the mouth, and an after taste which wasn't all that pleasant to me. Not really artificial in flavour, just an after taste. I think I prefer my smoothies to just be made with fruit.

Have you tried Kaeng Raeng? what were your thoughts??

No comments: