Monday, 3 June 2013

Book Review - Nut Butter Universe

I loved Robin Robertson's earlier work Peanut Butter Planet, so felt sure I'd love this one too. I was right!

This book has a photo insert showing a range of the recipes in the book, so not as shiny and photo laden as Peanut Butter Planet, but still nice. The recipe chapters are logically laid out , the recipes orderly, easy to read and follow with both soy- and gluten-free options indicated, (nice for me) hints are given in the introductions as well. The introductory chapter looks at all different types of nut butter, including buying, storing and the like, also giving some basic recipes in case you don't want to run to the store and have a stocked pantry.

I tried to steer away from making some the recipes which appear to be repeated here from Peanut Butter Planet which I made when I reviewed that book (such as the Peruvian Peanut Potato Soup page 14, the Southern Peanut Soup page 21, and the Too-Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge page 132) follow the link above for my comments on those recipes. I made -
Page 31
Sriracha-Spiked Hummus
If you love Sriracha you'll love this one. Not overly spicy (you can always add more) but with an intense flavour profile this one is not for wimpy hummus lovers. Enjoyed greatly.

Page 32
Asian Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce
Little more work, rolling the spring rolls, but worth it. Tasty, refreshing, and spicy all at the same time.

Page 42
Cold Noodle Salad with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Which now that I look back I made last time too. oops. Still good.

Page 80
Buckwheat Noodles with Ginger-Peanut Spinach
Love the combination here. The soba noodles hold up well to the gingery-fresh sauce and the spinach completes the dish.

Page 121
Lemon-kissed Chocolate Cashew Mousse
Like a regular chocolate mousse but with added interest and intensity from the lemon zest and juice. Not 100% sure I'd make again as H was not a huge fan, but enjoyable all the same.

All said, this is a very nice offering from Robin Robertson, showcasing more than just peanut butter this time. If you're a nut for nuts then I would heartily recommend this one!

No comments: