Saturday, 29 December 2012

Meanwhile, in other news...

So.

It appears I have developed a Gluten Intolerance. Yay me. This Christmas was my first one Gluten-free; and it was delicious. No photos, sorry. I had an individual Mushroom and Smoked Tofu Pot Pie using GF Breadcrumbs and Daiya as the top crust (Smoky Mushrooms from The Naked Food book), mixed Roasted Root Vegetables, Brussels and Beans (from VSC), Marmite Gravy (recipe follows but again no photo), Polenta Stuffing (from Appetite for Reduction) and for dessert Chocolate Pie (from VBS using a GF Nut based crust from Gluten Free Vegan Comfort Food). I am working to adjust how I am cooking and eating. I think it will be an ongoing process for the next little while.

The recipes I will be posting as part of the "Recipe of the Week" series will still be gluten containing (at least some of them) as they are ones which are tested and completed prior to this all happening. I dabbled with some gluten-free eating in the past, but guess will be now doing more than dabbling and will post more recipes which are gluten-free as time goes on.

With regards to the reviews I post of cook books which come my way - I will endeavour to choose recipes to make which are naturally gluten-free as written by the author, and will make sure I note in my review any changes or substitutions I have made if I do so. I will continue to use the children as guinea pigs for any non-GF baking. They don't mind!

Looking forward to the challenge, sort of, but wish me luck anyway!
*************************************************************


Marmite Gravy
Makes 1 ½ cups
  
This is my favourite gravy. It’s super quick, savoury without being too salty, and nice and thick, but remaining pourable. Great with seitan (!!), sausages, mashed potato, mixed with mushed up beans on toast, over biscuits, out of the pot, anywhere and everywhere really!

I find this to be salty enough, with the Marmite, Stock and Soy Sauce, but I know everyone enjoys different levels of saltiness, add salt and pepper at the end to taste. If the end result is too thick for your liking add extra water and stir in to reach your desired level of thickness. 

This gravy can be made in advance, and either kept warm over low heat on the stove, or stored in the fridge and reheated as required.

Preparation Time - 5 Minutes
Cooking Time - 15 Minutes

3 tablespoons Margarine

3 cloves Garlic, minced
1 ½ teaspoons Marmite
½ teaspoon Thyme

¼ cup Chickpea Flour

1 cups Soy, or other non-dairy, milk
cup Vegetable Stock
1 teaspoon Soy Sauce, or to taste

Salt and Pepper to taste

In a medium pan over medium heat, melt the margarine and the sauté the garlic, marmite and thyme until the marmite is melted, roughly 2 minutes.
Add the flour and stir to make a roux, cooking for a minute.
Add in the soymilk cup at a time, stirring well after each addition to thicken and cook. Once all the soymilk is added, add in the stock.
Add in the soy sauce and stir well.
Taste and season as required.

4 comments:

sunsetwest said...

I am a recent gluten-free eater as well (self-diagnosed intolerant through an elimination/reintroduction trial). I'm not vegan, but I'm no meat-eater, either. Good luck in your new dietary lifestyle!

Jennifer said...

I'm not necessarily GF but I do eat GF when I find them. I do enjoy Chickpea Powder! I like your blog and stumbled upon it today! looking forward to future posts!

Lee Ann said...

I have a jar of Marmite that I keep forgetting to use, the recipe will come in handy.

Shirley said...

A new challenge! Will you be writing a new cookbook on this? :)