Monday, 12 November 2012

Book Review - Peanut Butter Planet

Though mine has a different picture on the cover....
An oldie (well if you count 2006 as old) but a goodie from Robin Robertson, who, to be honest, never disappoints. The recipes in this book are all vegan, though have non vegan options. I am assuming this is nothing of Robin's doing, and would bet that it was a publisher/editor directed thing to appeal to more than a vegan audience. Everyone loves peanut butter, except my children, right?

It's a cute book, square, with lots of pictures, recipe per page, and pages of fun peanut facts scattered throughout. At only 80 recipes its not one of Robin's larger works! Introductory sections look at choices of peanut butter, buying, storing, and allergy alternatives. Not a large section, but informative and nice to have.

Heartily recommended for anyone who loves peanut butter!

I made;
Page 12 Southern Peanut Soup
Creamy comfort food in a bowl. Lovely and filling, warming on a cold day.

Page 19 Peruvian Peanut-Potato Soup
Similar in flavour profile to the soup above, and to a sauce in Viva Vegan! which I enjoyed. Left chunky this is a nice texture contrast.

Page 28 Peanut Butter Hummus
I make a peanut butter hummus which is very different to this one. This is more basic, allowing the peanuts to meld unadorned with the chickpeas. Enjoyable if a little plain.

Page 44 Cold Noodle Salad with spicy Peanut Sauce
I should have added more spice, but it was a nice salad. Tended to get a bit glumpy the second day.

Page 45 Crunchy Coleslaw with creamy peanut dressing
Nice slaw. Not overly peanut-y which my husband enjoyed.

Page 46 Mixed Baby Greens with Thai Peanut Dressing
I didn't make the papaya part of this salad, keeping it simple. The dressing is quite intense, sour and hot, so only a little is required!

Page 50 Peanut Lover's Potato Salad
Very nice. Enjoyed this immensely. I too make a peanut potato salad - shall have to share the recipe sometime.

Page 59 Spinach with Peanut Sauce
Comfort food through and through. I made the recipe to serve only 2 (it says 4) and could have eaten it all myself.

Page 78 Rice Noodles with hoisin-peanut sauce
Nice. Different flavour profile with the hoisin. Very easy to pull together.

Page 134 Silken Peanut Butter Pudding
I used vegan Butterscotch chips as it is what I had, mistakenly thinking they were peanut butter. Still turned out awesome, smooth and rich.

Page 138 Too easy chocolate-peanut butter fudge
Though I ran out of peanut butter and used half almond. I found the texture a little drier than I was expecting, more like tablet than fudge. Probably the substitution. Still yummy and very more-ish

Page 142 Orange Decadence Truffles
Not keen on this one. Peanut butter and chocolate = yes, Orange and chocolate = yes, all three together doesnt' work for me I'm afraid.

As a side note, I see on Amazon that Robin has a new book slated for release next February, titled Nut Butter Universe! Pick me for a review copy of that one please!!

4 comments:

Candy Beans said...

I feel like Robertson has all of theses secret unsung treasures of cookbooks. I've never heard of this one! Sounds great though. I'm loving her Vegan Fire and Spice right now.

Lauren Smith said...

I am not a vegan, but I am trying to eat like one, at least a couple of times a week. I am finding it difficult to find recipes that actually taste good. Thanks for the review of the cookbook. I will have to give it serious consideration. The cookbook I use every day in my kitchen is called, "Holly Clegg's trim&TERRIFIC KITCHEN 101: Secrets to Cooking Confidence" by author Holly Clegg. This book is designed for all ages, but specifically for the 18-25 and anyone with their first kitchen. For the working or busy person who desires to cook but doesn’t have the time to spend in the kitchen. http://www.hollyclegg.com

Susanne Drazic said...

Sounds like some interesting recipes.

Jon Robertson said...

Just to let you know, Peanut Butter Planet has gone out of print, but has been newly revised, expanded, and republished by Vegan Heritage Press as: Nut Butter Universe: Easy Vegan Recipes with Out-Of-This-World Flavors. Be sure to check it out, as these recipes are incredibly good!