Monday, 10 September 2012

Place Review - La Vida Vegan

Not so much of a place really as this is a food truck and as such moves around a bit. We were on holiday for a bit the week before last on Vancouver Island, and, as you do, I checked out The Happy Cow before we went to see what specifically vegan dining options there were in the area. I was happy to find this Mexican Vegan food truck, La Vida Vegan, so one lunchtime we drove along to Qualicum Beach by the visitor info place, and checked it out.

The menu is not huge for food options but there are loads of juices offered and some snack items. All items are vegan, gluten free, not expensive, and fresh! We just went for the main items as it was lunchtime after all. Not knowing what to choose I picked a Taco and a Tamal - one with the black bean option (the taco) and the other (the tamal) with the lentil and red pepper option.

Both were delicious beyond words, and I had to send my 10 year old back for a second tamal for me (greedy I know, but they were melt-in-your-mouth good), this time black bean. I could have sat there all day eating the tamales!! Seriously good stuff. I reallyy must make some tamales here at home soon.....

The taco was good too - the corn tortilla freshly made and just wonderful, but I enjoyed the tamales more than I can tell you. I think if I lived in the area I would hunt La Vida Vegan down very often, and as they are reasonably priced it wouldn't be a bank breaking thing.

So, if you are in the Parksvillle / Qualicum area oon Vancouver Island look them up and check them out. Highly recommended for the tamales, but I can't comment about the juices and smoothies as I just didn;t have room!!

***
Back to your regularly scheduled book reviews next week, so watch this space..... First up is this one -


1 comment:

Sheila said...

Hey Carla - thanks for the glowing review!! We now have a storefront in Parksville - and a slowly expanding menu - so I hope you'll stop by again on your next pass through!
-Sheila & Os from La Vida Vegan