Monday, 24 September 2012

Book Review - Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day!

Not all the photos in this review are mine! I asked very nicely and Celine sent me some to use. (thank you!) As you'll see as I go through I made some of the recipes "de-constructed" (that is, not as sandwiches) but I wanted to show how they would look as sandwiches, hence my request. I'm not going to reproduce photos used in the book, I'll just use some of the ones which didn't make it to the book, because when you buy your own copy you'll be able to see the other photos. and, yes, you will be wanting your own copy of this one - the range of flavours and creativity is incredible!

There is a small introductory chapter, outlining some basic skills and ingredients and sandwich-y type hints, and then you're into the recipe chapters. The chapters are quite logical in order, with a final chapter providing  the basics used in other recipes, and breads etc. I'm not entirely convinced this wouldn't have been better as the first chapter, but anyway, at least it is there. The recipes are 1 a page, with a great many of them accompanied by photos. They are well laid out, easy to follow and have symbols for fast to make, travels well, and those which are easily gluten-free-able. Don't think you won't be able to use this book if you are GF - you may have to use different breads, or, do as I did for some of the recipes, and not make them as sandwiches at all!

The recipes I made -

Page 19 Country Sausage Sandwiches.
As you can see from my photo this is one of the ones not made as a sandwich. The flavours were awesome, and I really enjoyed the "sausage".

Page 26 Shh-ocolate Spread
I have made bean based chocolate spreads before and they all somewhat tasted bean-y. This one didn't. It fooled even my bean-phobic picky eater who was eating this with a spoon out of the container. I will be making this one often for sure!

Page 41 Beans not on Toast
Coming from a place where beans on toast are super common I had to try this. The beans were interesting, very flavourful, and filling.

Page 42 'Shrooms on a Shingle
In my head I expected the mushrooms to be creamier, so I was pleasantly surprised by the little biit of bright acidity they have. Very tasty.

Page 57 Deviled (not) Egg Salad Sandwiches
In my photo I show an alternate way to eat the salad - with salad! This was pretty good, I'd like to try the tofu variation too.

Page 67 Tofu Pomegranate Pockets
This tofu is lovely. I think the hardest part of  making this one was not eating all the tofu as it was cooling.

Page 91 Curried Lentil Wraps
I made a mistake in this one, as the "creamed coconut" I bought was the sweetened stuff for drinks by mistake so my curry ended up a little sweet. It was still very tasty, but I can only imagine how much better, creamier and richer, it would have been with the real stuff!!

Page 131 Chickpea Shawarma
Another one served de-constructed, this time over rice (which was lovely). I adored the tahini dressing, creamy, tangy and very good.

Page 132 Out of Tuna Sandwiches
I didn't, but this one you could also make as a salad if you wished. I liked the crunch of the beans against the creamy "tuna".

Page 171 Peanut Butter Brownie Sandwiches
Just as good without the Peanut Butter Frosting my Peanut Haters tell me. Very filling, so a treat for sure, these are lovely and did not last long.

Page 179 Tempeh Bacon
I sliced my tempeh too thin as I had issues with it falling part as I moved it from the marinade to the pan. Still tasted awesome, just a textural fail. (which is all my fault)

Great book.

No comments: