Friday, 6 July 2012

Product Review - Vega Energizing Smoothies

I was sent some sample packs of the new range of Vega Energizing Smoothies to try. I'd never had Vega before, or even a protein powder smoothie either so this was all completely new to me. I tried one flavour a day, made in the most basic preparation, and took notes so I could share them with you here.

The smoothies are easy to make - the most basic preparation is add water and shake until combined - and can be added to milk, juice, or to a blended smoothie with fruit as you wish, so the time involved in prep is minimal. Made with just water I found the mix to be slightly grainy, not overly so, but enough that you could taste it, this would be negated, I think even though I didn't try it, by mixing the smoothie mix into a blended drink, or even with soy milk.
As for the flavours, there are 5 in the range, and I have notes for each -
Vanilla - Not bad, not in your face with the vanilla flavour, which I found more apparent in the aroma than in the taste.

Tropical - I found the taste on this to be reminiscent of an artificial flavoured tropical drink - even though I know there are no artificial flavours - so I didn't enjoy this so much. Would be better blended with fruit.

Berry - This too I found to be stronger in the aroma of berries than in the taste, and that the taste had that slight artificial flavoured noted which I noted with the Tropical. Blended with berries this would be great, but not so much straight up.

Natural - Mixed straight with water this was too blah for me. The slightly gritty texture was more apparent in this than in the others, and I would need this to be in a mixed fruit smoothie for me to enjoy.

Chocolate - Now, this one I could drink all the time! Creamy, rich and very chocolatey, this was more like a milkshake than a powder and water shake! This is the one I would buy and use - It tastes more like a treat than a health drink.

Thanks Vega for the chance to try your stuff!

1 comment:

glutenfreehappytummy.com said...

great review! i've been wanting to try VEga!