Monday, 9 April 2012

Book Review - Gluten Free Vegan Comfort Food






In reviewing this book I initially focused mainly on making (and unfortunately neglecting to take photos of) the baking recipes. The recipes in the other chapters are ones which many books (GF and not) have similar versions of in them - it is surprising how easy it is to make main-stream savory non-baking recipes GF if you switch out a few key ingredients. I did make some of these recipes as you will see but wanted to try my hand at GF baking to see how my own efforts measured up. (Quite well but that is another story)

The introduction section imparts a wealth of knowledge about both GF and vegan diets, outlining foods to avoid, and the ingredients used in the book. This is most helpful. The layout and chapter breakdown makes sense, and there is a photo insert showing some of the recipes. The recipes themselves are easy enough to follow, and weren't difficult to make. On balance, a good book to have GF or not, vegan or not.

I made, in page number order -

Page 35 Banana-Nut Bread

Though I omitted the nuts, my children don't really like them in Banana Bread I have been told. This did not last long in my house and my daughter is asking me to make it again already. She didn't notice anything which would indicate the bread was GF.

Page 55 Guacamole

Lots of stuff in this version, which is OK for a change but I think I prefer a more simple guac.


Page 58 Red Pepper Hummus

Nice as a spread on a salad sandwich, and as a dip for raw veggies.

Page 61 Best Banana and Chocolate Chip Cookies

This one we didn't like. It didn't work as well for us as the other cookie recipes. They were too soft and crumbly and a little lacking.


Page 77 Chocolate Cupcakes

Delicious! I made my own icing, which was a little sweet unfortunately, but these were a decided hit. Will make again for sure.


Page 119 Mock Egg Salad

Got better and more "eggy" as it sat in the fridge. A touch of black salt would have been nice to accentuate the "eggy"ness but very nice all the same.


Page 128 Black Bean Burgers

These were good. Great texture, lovely mouth feel - a very tasty burger.


Page 132 Fresh Pea and Asparagus Risotto

Though I used frozen peas. You could call this "Risotto Primavera" as it is loaded with lovely vegetable flavors and textures. Enjoyed.

Page 136 Mock Tuna Fish Sandwich Fixin's

OK. The pickle is reminiscent of a "fishy" quality. Again better as it sits.


Page152 Falafel Patties

Good texture, but I felt something was missing taste wise. Easy to make and cook.


Page 170 Chocolate Chip-Oatmeal Cookies

Wonderful cookies. Awesome texture and not crumbly at all. Shared with a friend of mine and she couldn't tell they were GF, and didn't believe me when I told her.


Page 182 Molasses Cookies

Or "Gingerbread Cookies" as we called them. Didn't spread as much as I thought they would as they baked but tasted great.


Page 198 Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing

Simple and easy to throw together to top a salad.


Page 199 Peanut Sauce

This peanut sauce intrigued me as it has Green Thai Curry paste. I've made peanut sauce with red paste before but not green. It was a different sensation, and I did take a minute to get used to it, but it was a nice sauce.

No comments: