Monday, 30 January 2012

Book Review - Quick Fix Vegan

Robin Robertson's latest offering is all about fast cooking. Need something on the table in half an hour? Here's your book. (OK, so some of the recipes take longer than that, but these are make ahead ones where the work is done in half an hour, then you just have to bake).







The book is green inside - printing, paper, headings etc. Not unattractive, but I thought I would mention it as it is not usual. There are no pictures, so if you are a person who needs a visual reference you may find this harder going. I don't, so found this fine as it is. QFV has a wonderful introductory section all about being quick, and shortcuts you can take and what you should have on hand in the pantry for the quick-fix recipes. I do like a good introduction! I found the recipes I made (on the whole) to be simple, with easy to follow instructions which would suit even the most novice of vegan cooks. Recommended? Most definitely!


The recipes I made, again in page number order, were -

P21 - Moroccan Pumpkin Hummus.

Why didn't I think of this one?? So good, with pumpkin and chickpeas being new bestest buddies.

P 23 - Hummamole

I love hummus. I love guacamole. So of course I'm going to love the combination of the two!


P 24 - Smokin' Guacamole

I toned down the chipotle in this one so it wasn't too "smokin" just nicely accented. Very nice.


P 24 - Red Bean Chipotle Dip

I didn't tone down the chipotle and maybe should have (OK so maybe we are wusses) but this was very nice.


P 46 - Coconut-Curry Chickpeas and Cauliflower

I'm not a fan of carrot in anything tomato based. I don't know why, but to me they don't belong together. Personal taste is a funny thing. This was nice, but I'll leave the carrots out next time.


P 59 - Smoky Chipotle-Chocolate Chili

Very yum. Even with slightly less chipotle you still got the wonderful flavor combination. This will be made again.

P 89 - Cream of Mushroom Soup

This reminded me of a Mushroom Paprikash recipe I make. Spoke to me of Eastern Europe and wintertime. Loved this soup.

P 100 - Asian Noodle Soup with Bok Choy and Shiitakes

Though I didn't use shiitakes as none of the local stores had any. Nice and light, yet completely satisfying. The recipe served 2 as a main.



P 132 - Quinoa Salad with Apples and Walnuts

I liked this one. I ate it warm, and them some later cold, and it was good both ways. Very reminiscent of a Waldorf (well, sort of).

P 154 - Indian Shepherd's Pie

I think I mucked this up a little as I ended up with too much bottom and not enough potato top so I had to cook more potato before I baked it. Again, another one where I felt the carrots weren't needed. Nice concept - would make again.


P 200 - Catalan-style Creme Brulee

Oh, my!!!



All in all an enjoyable week's eating!

No comments: