Friday, 22 October 2010

Crisps Vs. Chips Vs. Fries

Terms which are different in different parts of the world and drive you mad, anyone? Today its about potatoes.

The cold packet ones - In New Zealand usually chips; In the UK, crisps; in Canada, chips.

The hot ones - In NZ Hot Chips; in the UK, Chips; in Canada, Fries.

In our house, to save the confusion and my potato sanity, we use the term Crisps to mean the packaged thin, maybe crinkled, cold, generally a snack, things, and Fries to mean the hot, deep fried or baked to go with dinner things. Avoiding the whole "chip" thing completely.

What about you??


Quiltbug said...

I'm Canadian so it's chips and fries. What about cookies and biscuits. When I'm in England and somebody asks if I want a biscuit, I'm thinking of a tea biscuit not a cookie. While we are on the subject (or I am) of England, why are desserts called pudding when they are not even close. I know what a steamed pudding is but I've seen some strange desserts called pudding.


Elizabeth said...

Chips come in a bag from the grocery store. Fries are anything that is deep-fried in oil and served warm. Guess it's the same thing between Canada and the U.S. There is also something called oven baked fries, which is also the equivalent to fries, but baked. I love chips and fries. Those are just a couple of my many weaknesses. Heh.

Carla said...

Oh, Audrey, the whole biscuits / cookies / scones thing drives me mad too, but that is a post for another day as I could go on foever!
I don't know why pudding is pudding and not dessert. Its both something sweet at the end of a meal but pudding is less posh, and not necessarily "pudding". Something maybe for another day too!

Theresa said...

In Australia 'chips' could refer to either the cold packet ones and the hot oily ones. But if people want to clarify, they say 'crisps'. Very rarely have I heard Aussies talk about 'fries'.

Linda said...

before we went to the UK they were chips and hot chips, a la your comment about NZ. Now Jonathan continues to call the packet variety "crisps" and the hot ones just "chips". I hassle him that we're not in England any more! It does save confusion though :)

celyn said...

In the USA, we don't really say crisps, but it could be used for anything crispy as part of a product name. When I lived in the UK, I definitely understood crisps to be the cold ones in the bags. In the USA, chips are what crisps are in the UK. In the UK, chips are what we in the US call fries. And we haven't even touched on tots, curly fries, hashbrowns, or wedges!

Carla said...

Noooooooo. Don't start!

caribbeanvegan said...

Lol let me put in my 5 cents.
In Barbados as you know we were once a colony of England we call what American call fries, chips. Now the younger generation say fries because they want to be cool..note I belong to this generation but I am old fashioned.The bag potato crisp we call them chips too. Yeah I know crazy huh.We never say crisps.
Biscuit in Barbados is not what kfc sells it is a cracker like a saltine or it can mean a sweet cookie as well. This adds to the confusion. The young generation say crackers to fix this issue. We only say something is cookies if it is written on the bag but it is a sweet biscuit for us.

JB said...

In the UK, the cold thin slices in packets are most definitely called crisps. For the hot variety we'd usually say chips and it tends to be only fast-food places that call them fries. Chunkly chips are always called chips, it's the thin ones that may get called fries.