Friday, 5 June 2009

I know its Spring, but its never to warm for CRUMBLE!

and this time its crumble with a twist.
For the fruit base I used a mix or Rhubarb, Strawberries and Ginger, which I stewed with some sugar, and thickened a little with some Arrowroot. I love this mix of flavours, but H is not so keen.

The topping is the twist. H loves coconut (which I think I have said before) and I wanted to incorporate that into the topping. What I ended up with was a treat, here's the recipe -

Coconut Crumble Topping

2 C Plain Flour
½ C unsweetened Shredded Coconut
½ C Panko
½ C Sugar
1 t Baking Powder
½ t Salt
¼ t ground Ginger
Pinch ground Nutmeg
¼ C Coconut Oil
½ c Coconut Milk
¼ t Coconut Essence

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, coconut, panko, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices.
Now, depending on how solid your coconut oil is you can either mix the oil, coconut milk and essence together in a separate bowl and then mix into the dry ingredients until crumbly (hands are good for this), OR, if your oil is solid you can cut it into the dry ingredients like you would shortening and then stir the coconut milk and essence in to form a crumbly mix afterwards. Either way works – just do what your oil dictates.
Pile on top of your pre prepared fruit layer, store in the fridge if making in advance if you like, and when ready bake for ½ hour at 400F.

Served with a little (or a lot after the photo was taken) custard. mmm.

I think this topping would work fantastically well with a mix of tropical and subtropical fruits - mango, passionfruit, peach, pineapple - that sort of thing, and served with a good quality vanilla vegan icecream. (I'd make my own if one of the publishers of the many new vegan icecream books on the market would send me a copy and an icecream maker to make it in!)

3 comments:

Jeni Treehugger said...

Mmmm YUMMY! I LOVE the addition of the Coconut.

Wheeler's Crew said...

coconut, ginger and rhubarb! sounds so delicious!

Angela said...

Coconut and rhubarb, I love that combination! I'll have to try this before rhubarb season ends this year.