Wednesday, 25 February 2009

Its almost a food book....

I have just finished reading this wonderful book to M. The copy I have is nothing like this, as mine is a super old one, which was given to us when we were kids by our aunt who's children had it before we did. The copy of the book I have will be at least 30 years if its a day, and its a tatty falling apart old thing, but M was captivated by the end of the first chapter.

She loved the adventures of Charlie and his fellow factory invitees, and liked when all the naughty children got their just desserts. She wants me to read her more Roald Dahl now, which I am happy to do, but I can see that the day she can read them to herself isn't too far off now either.

I don't know if the more modern versions have been made a little more PC or not, but the story remains a great one. Some things are just timeless I guess.

3 comments:

Jeni Treehugger said...

God I hope they haven't been altered to be "more PC",that would be sacrilege.
On a par with altering Shakespeare!

Vegyogini said...

Roald Dahl's books are so imaginative and enthralling that even his kids' books are fascinating for adults. Bravo to M for loving this one! Maybe she'll try Matilda next...what a wonderful story. :)

Rob said...

We recently listened to the books on CD and the kids loved it...the sequel as well. Timeless!