Wednesday, 5 November 2008

These Muffins are for...


and here we have them -
I put some nuts in as requested by my sister Sonia, but not walnuts (sorry). I really like the pistachio / carrot / cardamom combination this has. They are nice moist muffins without being too sweet. If you like muffins sweeter (A vegan about town or anyone), then just add another 1/4 C brown sugar when you make them.

and here's the recipe -

A vegan about town's Carrot and Pistachio Muffins
Makes 12

½ C Plain Flour
½ C WholeWheat Flour
1 C WholeWheat Pastry Flour
2 ½ t Baking Powder
½ t Salt
¼ t Nutmeg
¼ t Cardamom
¾ C shelled Pistachio Nuts – chopped and toasted**
½ C Soy Milk
6 T Apple Juice
¼ C Soy Creamer
¼ C Oil
½ C Brown Sugar
2 T Maple Syrup
1 ¼ C finely grated Carrot – tightly packed

12 - 36 shelled Pistachio Nuts to top

Preheat oven to 375F and prepare muffin tins.
In a large bowl sift together the flours, baking powder and soda, salt and spices. Add pistachios and toss to combine.
In another large bowl whisk together the milk, creamer, juice, oil, sugar and syrup. Stir in the grated carrot so well combined.
Pour the carrot mix into the dry ingredients, and mix to just combine.
Top each muffin with a pistachio (or two or three) and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until tests done.
Cool muffins in tins for 5 minutes and then on rack.

**My pistachio's were ready shelled, roasted and salted. The salting I'm not fussed about but if you nuts are raw then please toast them lightly first.
A vegan about town - I hope you like them! Make then and report back please!

5 comments:

Jeni Treehugger said...

These look and sound total nom worthy!
Nice job!

a vegan about town said...

OOER. I've never had anyone design a muffin for me before!

Is the flavour very carrot-y, or more of a mild hint of carrot?

Exciting! I will attempt this shortly!

Aurélie said...

Wow, the muffins are as sophisticated as the name! :) You'll have a lot of cooking to do... I just noticed the list in the previous post.

Aurelie
www.delectablevegetable.blogspot.com
http://aurelieshealthycuisine.com

Davyd said...

As official VaT taster, I endorse this recipe!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/penguincakes/3010651380/

a vegan about town said...

I see Davyd has beaten me to informing you of our tasty success!

blogged here

Just wanted to mention that your method mentions baking powder and soda, but your ingredient list does not. I took a guess, but you might want to fix that up. :o)

Thanks for the recipe Carla! It was awesome!