Thursday, 9 October 2008

I Love: Green Leafy Vegetables

and green but not so leafy too.

When you talk about greens most people think of salad - and while I love a good salad, and for a while I was super into them, I've gone off them a little lately, maybe its the season change, but I'm really loving cooked greens at the moment. I haven't gone as far as making Lettuce Soup (and yes one of my cookbooks has a recipe for that) but I am adding them all over the place.

So, to be specific - I love Kale-Spinach-Broccoli-Asparagus-Swiss chard-Cabbage-Brussel Sprouts-Bok choy-and I'm sure I've left some out! As a not so interesting side note, Swiss Chard in New Zealand is often called Silver Beet.

Now for a few photos showing how I've used leafy (and not so leafy) greens over the past few days. This soup, the Sicilian White Bean and Tomato Soup from Fresh @ Home by Ruth Tal, incorporates leafy greens (meant to be spinach but I subbed red chard) and is delicious! They are too versatile.
I had a Broccoli and Chickpea Curry for lunch the other day. Another really tasty way to get some greens.
One of my favourite ways to have greens is with this Tahini Sauce - its so very simple and so very good. Pictured with Bangers (based on Julie's recipe) & Mash. Recipe for the sauce is below so you can spoil your greens too!
Tahini Sauce

1 T Tahini
1 T Lemon Juice
1 T Dijon Mustard
½ T Cornstarch
2 T Nutritional Yeast
¼ t Onion Powder
¼ t Garlic Powder
¼ t Black Pepper
2 T Water

Mix all ingredients until smooth.Stir into cooked greens and heat lightly to thicken

1 comment:

vegannifer said...

Thanks for that tahini sauce recipe! It sounds great. I tried a tahini sauce the other day that I didn't like so much, so I'll give this one a try next.

I recently received a type of green called Mizuna in my CSA veg box. I haven't used it in anything yet, but it should be interesting. I think it's akin to chard and kale. Go greens!