Wednesday, 15 October 2008

I Love: Baking

If you've read my blog at all you'll know this! When I'm blogging regularly, I must blog at least once a week about baking I've done. There's just something magical about mixing together a bunch of ingredients, popping whatever you've made in the oven, and having something tasty ready to share
in just a little while.
and I'm not the only one! Check out this post at Kittens gone Lentil for proof!

Believe me when I tell you that I bake alot more than I blog too! Some of its requests from the girls (they often want to "help" make cookies), or stuff for breakfast (I made Cinnamon Rolls Thanksgiving morning and neglected to take a picture) and sometimes I bake to give as gifts. I often share any baking I've done with the girls' teachers - I know its not much but I hope it tells them how appreciated they really are.

Last Christmas I made about 4 batches of these beauties and gave them to family, M's teachers and friends as edible Christmas gifts. I'm thinking of doing the same next year too! I posted the recipe at the time but here it is again!


Gingerbread Muffins Or Mini Loaves
Makes 12 muffins – 8 loaves

1 C Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1 ½ C Plain Flour
2 T Cornstarch
1 t Baking Powder
1 ½ t Baking Soda
¼ t Salt
1 ½ t Ground Ginger
1 t Cinnamon
1/3 C Oil
½ C Soft Brown Sugar
1/3 C Maple Syrup
2/3 C Molasses
1 T Grated Fresh Ginger
1 C Soymilk
½ C Crystalised Ginger – finely chopped **
Turbinado Sugar for decoration

Preheat oven to 375F and prepare your muffin tins.
In a separate large bowl, sift together the flours through cinnamon.
In a large bowl whisk together the oil, brown sugar, maple syrup, molasses, soymilk and grated ginger until smooth.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix to just combined.
Fold in the crystalised ginger.
Spoon mix into muffin tins and sprinkles tops with a little turbinado sugar.
Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until tests done. Cool in trays for 5 minutes before turning onto racks.

** Leave this out if you don't like it, I did in one batch for R as she loved them without it.

1 comment:

Jeni Treehugger said...

WOW! They look awesome. I'd leave the crystalised Ginger in for sure. And I LOVE the mini loaf tin!