Friday, 13 June 2008

Perfect with chili.... I guess

Its not in my food heritage to eat cornbread. I'm from New Zealand of English parentage remember, and up until now the places I've lived haven't really eaten such things with any degree of frequency (Thailand, Australia and Scotland). However, cornbread is something I've had a few times since moving to North America, but not something that has created a passion inside me (so far). The first time I had cornbread muffins they were made by a friend as a thank you and I ate maybe 2 before giving up. I just didn't get it.

As is often said, and as I hope will be the case with my quinoa and not much else loving children, tastes change over time. (I do exaggerate about the children) Especially when you make it yourself. I really like these cornbread muffins that I made the other day t go with a baked sweet potato chili at dinner time. R helped make them (she's turning into a muffin princess), but when they were done she had a bite and spat it out. Please don't let that put you off! They are good. A little sweet, but plenty savoury with a tiny kick of spice, crunchy on top, yet really soft inside.

Oh, and they are low fat and gluten free (if you make them that way) to boot.
Savoury Corn Cornmeal Muffins
Makes 12

2/3 C plain Soymilk
1 t Apple Cider Vinegar
1 C Gluten Free Flour Mix *
1 C Yellow Corn Flour
¼ C Corn Starch
4 t Baking Powder
1 t Baking Soda
1 t Salt
¼ t Black Pepper
¼ t Garlic Powder
¼ t Onion Powder
1/8 t Paprika
1/8 t Mustard Powder
1 ½ C smooth style Creamed Corn #
¼ C Agave
½ C Corn Kernels (fresh if you can)

Preheat oven to 400F and prepare muffin tins.
In a medium sized bowl mix the soymilk with the ACV and leave to curdle.
In a large bowl whisk together the flours through mustard powder.
Add the agave and creamed corn to the soymilk and whisk until smooth.
Make a well in the dry ingredients, add the wet and mix until combined.
Fold in the corn kernels, spoon into muffins tins (they will be full) and them bake for 15 -18 minutes, or until tests done.
Cool in tray for 2 minutes before turning onto rack.

* I’m experimenting, if you don’t have this, then just use plain all purpose white wheat flour.
# If you can’t get the smooth stuff just blend the lumpy stuff in your Food Processor or Blender for a few pulses.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I love a good cornbread, especially with whole kernels. But being from the southern US that's par for the course.