Friday, 16 May 2008

Leftover Rice Breakfasts.

Three of them, but I only took photos of 2. I saw a Cinnamon / Raisin variation today in La Dolce Vegan as I was browsing for dinner inspiration, and I may make that tomorrow as I have some cooked rice waiting for me in the fridge. These 3 are all made up by yours truly.

The first 2 don't have any sweetener added - you decide. I thought they were sweet enough. The last 1 I added some agave to as the pineapple tends to get a bit sour when its cooked if you don't I find. Again, use your own sweetness discretion. I also like this sort of thing thick so I do use the starch thickener quite often, you may like a more soup-y texture. Whatever, its there if you need it, right?
I also think the basic idea would work for any leftover grain as long as it has only been cooked in water. You may need to adjust the liquid content but i haven't experimented with anything but rice, yet.
Brown Rice Breakfasts
Serves 1 - 2

#1
1 C cooked Brown Rice
1/3 C Coconut Milk
1/3 C Water
1 T Crystallised Ginger – finely chopped
1 t Lemongrass – minced
¼ t ground Ginger
Agave to sweeten as desired

#2 1 C cooked Brown Rice
1/3 C plain Soy Milk
1/3 C Water
1 T dried Cranberries – finely chopped
½ t Orange Zest
¼ t Nutmeg
Agave to sweeten as desired

#31 C cooked Brown Rice
2/3 C pineapple bits in juice
1/3 C Water
1 T Agave
½ t Vanilla Essence
Extra Agave to sweeten as desired

Optional – 1 T Tapioca Starch (Arrowroot / Cornstarch) to thicken if desired

Combine all ingredients excepting extra agave and thickener in a small pan, then simmer over medium heat for 15 – 20 minutes until reduced.
If desired make a slurry with the starch thickener and add to pan, stir well to combine and cook for a further 2 – 3 minutes.

No comments: