Thursday, 15 May 2008

Barley is not just for beer.

Though in this house, I'm the only one who seems to think so. No one else likes it much. I find it a nice change to the usual grains, and it is a hearty, chewy, filling grain that lends itself to alot of dishes, both hot and cold, alot like rice does. Unfortunately it is a gluten containing grain so unsuitable for people who don't tolerate gluten, but if you're sensitive to it you'd know that.

This recipe was lunch just for me yesterday, and I was hungry so I think if you were using it as a side it would serve 2. Artwork courtesy of M.
Italian Barley
Serves 1 – 2

½ Onion – finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic – minced
1 t dried Basil
½ t dried Oregano
1 t Tomato Paste
½ C Barley – soaked overnight then drained / rinsed
½ C Pasta Sauce (homemade or storebought)
1 ¼ C Vegetable Stock
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a medium pot over medium heat sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until translucent.
Add in the basil, oregano, tomato paste and barley. Saute 1 minute more.
Add the sauce and stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed and barley is tender. Stir every 10 minutes or so to prevent sticking.
Season as required, then stand, covered, for 5 – 10 minutes prior to serving.

3 comments:

Carrie™ said...

I really like barley but can never seem to find very many recipes, aside from soup, that use it. This one looks awfully tasty. I'll give it a try.

Carla said...

Carrie, I think if you've soaked it really well you could probably sub in recipes which call for brown rice. You may need to adjust cooking times up but it should work.

bazu said...

I love barley! There is just something about the chewy texture that is really enjoyable.