I made these earlier in the week but felt they needed reworking a little, so I remade them this morning and they turned out better than before. They're not too sweet, but nice and fruity, with a hint of difference provided by the basil. Its a good combination and don't be put off by the thought of basil and strawberries!
Strawberry and Basil Scones
Makes 8 - 12
1 C plain Soymilk
1 t Apple Cider Vinegar
3 T Strawberry Jam
1 t Strawberry Essence
2 T Sugar
3 T Oil
1 T fresh Basil - finely chopped
2 1/2 C Plain Flour (or sub some WWPF)
1 T Baking Powder
1 t Baking Soda
1/2 t Salt
3/4 C fresh Strawberries - finely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 375F and grease a baking sheet.
- Mix the soymilk and ACV in a large bowl, stand for 5 minutes.
- Whisk into the soymilk the jam, essence, sugar, oil and basil.
- Sift the flour, BPowder, BSoda and salt into this bowl. Add the strawberries and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Now either - Shape into a 6" disc on your baking tray and score into 8 triangular pieces (like you would a pizza) and bake for 25 - 30 minutes
- or - using 1/3 C size measure scoop 10 - 12 scones onto your baking sheet and bake for 20 -25 minutes.
- Brush tops with a little soymilk before baking if you like. and to be honest use whatever size measure you like to scoop - just keep an eye on the cooking time.
Obviously these are better as the strawberry season goes on and the berries get sweeter. I hope all of you lucky enough to have strawberries in a garden make at least one batch of these sometime this summer!