Its a recipe for the marinade I used for last nights baked tofu, and I think it would go quite nicely with Tempeh too, its sweet and a little sticky and also makes a good stir fry sauce. I like the little hint of bitterness from the Orange Zest, but if you don't like it then leave it out. Orange and Pomegranate Marinade / Stir fry Sauce
Makes about 3/4 C
2 T Olive Oil
3 cloves Garlic - grated
2 T Fresh Basil - finely sliced
1 1/2 C Orange Juice
1/2 T Orange Zest
3 T Agave
3 T Maple Syrup
3 T Pomegranate Molasses
- Heat the oil over medium heat and saute the garlic for about 2 minutes until very aromatic. Add the remainder of the ingredients and simmer over low heat for about 1 hour until the mix has reduced to about 1/3 of its original volume.
- Strain through a fine sieve to get the bits (basil / garlic / zest) out leaving a smooth souace to use as marinade.
I served the tofu and stirfried veggies with something I made up. You know how I've done Risotto before with half rice and half buckwheat, well last night I made a risotto with half rice and half millet. H doesn't like millet all that much so I thought it would be interesting to see if he liked it this way. He did, but not as much as "normal" risotto. I made a plain-ish one, with a hint of lemongrass. Nice Millet Risotto
Serves 2 - 4 as side, depending on how many other sides.
2 cloves Garlic - finely chopped
2 Shallots - finely chopped
1 1/2 T Lemongrass - finely chopped
1/3 C Millet
1/2 C Aborio (Risotto) Rice
1/4 C White Wine
2 - 2 1/4 C Vegetable Stock
- Over medium heat, saute the garlic shallots and lemongrass for about 2 minutes until aromatic.
- Add the grains and stir to coat. Add the white wine and cook until absorbed stirring all the time.
- Add the stock 1/4 C at a time, stirring to combine and then again once absorbed - risotto style. It'll take about 40 minutes to use up all the stock.
- Cover and stand 5 minutes prior to serving.